- HHS Secretary Dr. Tom Price resigned his position effective immediately. Acting Assistant Secretary for Health Don Wright will serve as acting secretary until a new nominee is confirmed by the Senate.
- Citing a lack of support, Senate Republicans scrapped a vote of the Graham-Cassidy plan to repeal/replace the ACA. NAHU released a press statement expressing our concerns with the legislation and called for a returned focus on market stability.
- Senators Lamar Alexander (R-TN) and Patty Murray (D-WA) resumed bipartisan negotiations on legislation to stabilize markets ahead of the 2018 plan year, including possible temporary funding of the ACA’s cost sharing reduction payments.
- President Trump is expected to release an executive order next week to permit the sale of insurance across state lines, through a reinterpretation of ERISA.
- A Tax Reform framework was released this week as lawmakers begin the process of overhauling the nation’s Tax Code through the budget-reconciliation process. NAHU is closely monitoring negotiations as they relate to provisions governing employer-sponsored insurance.
Source: National Association of Health Underwriters